Re: text/lp [was Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again]

2011-11-28 11:16:29
On 2011-11-27 17:20, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:

The problem here is that RFC and Internet-Drafts are not plain ASCII.  They are
technically in a special format that I would call "line-printer ready text
file", and ASCII is the encoding, not the format.  What is needed is:

- - A mime-type for line-printer ready text (say text/lp)
- - An heuristic to recognize text/lp files (it's too late for a specific
extension).  Apache HTTP server can use the AddType directive for these
files[1].
- - A program to display text/lp files, one at least for each platform.  If
someone take care of the mime-type, I'll write the program to display correctly
text/lp files on the Android platform.

I think something is wrong if we seriously consider that writing new reader tools is the solution to whatever we think our problem is.

Best regards, Julian