Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-11-30 14:57:37
Subject: Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request Date:
Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 03:18:24PM -0500 Quoting Wes Beebee
(wbeebee(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com):

Eventually, IPv6 will become more reliable than IPv4.

for me, v6 is more reliable at my two most frequented tethering points
for the laptop. today. mostly because v6 is clean slate and 100% e2e. this
is over tunneling to home. does not matter. the tunnel has lower latency
than the v4 route to where I want to go. (wonders of peering wars)

See - all you need is a change in perspective...

or perhaps timetable. "now -1 year" was a good time to roll out v6. those
who do not have v6 in their backbones today are lagging and will have
to pay for it. early adopter pain was 10 years ago (line cards with v4
only feature sets and similar b0rkenendness.)

access networks (especially dsl and cable) are a pathetic story in
themselves wrt v6, but the backbone has been a breeze to v6-enable
for years.

peoples RFQen should have started _requiring_ v6 transit and feature
parity for v6 and v4 at least two years ago. I did. it helps.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668