Re: An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

2011-12-02 12:20:01
Please see Christian's relevant post I have reposted here. I side with those who focus on solving real problems not hypothetical problems, thus my original post to the list what was the source of concern; to which was responded as far as I can ascertain so far a case in current litigation see at link to press http://www.cellular-news.com/story/50118.php It would be interesting to see what exactly has been alleged to be the misbehavior by 3GPP and ETSI. Christian's post is consistent and relevant to my experience. Do we have the text of the allegations?

Additionally have there been any actual experiences at IETF of litigation that might inform this discussion? Specific cases are be a better measure of behavior which could be problematic. My experience is that is more often mis behavior by not following rules by leaders or participants than it is inadequacy of the rules that leads to practical problems.

Here is a GTW website to a few SDO patent policies which often include antitrust language as well http://www.gtwassociates.com/answers/IPRpolicies.html

From: "Christian Huitema" <huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>
To: "Joel jaeggli" <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com>; "Jorge Contreras" <cntreras(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> Cc: "Ted Hardie" <ted(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>; "IETF Chair" <chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "IETF" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "IESG" <iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:44 PM
Subject: RE: An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

Note that the suit does not complain about the 3GPP and ETSI rules. It alleges instead that the rules were not enforced, and that the leadership of these organization failed to prevent the alleged anti-competitive behavior of some companies.

I believe that our current rules are fine. They were specifically designed to prevent the kind of collusion described in the complaint. Yes, these rules were defined many years ago, but the Sherman Antitrust Act is even older -- it dates from 1890. We have an open decision process, explicit rules for intellectual property, and a well-defined appeals process. If the plaintiffs in the 3GPP/IETF lawsuit had been dissatisfied with an IETF working group, they could have use the IETF appeal process to raise the issue to the IESG, and the dispute would probably have been resolved after an open discussion.

Rather than trying to set up rules that cover all hypothetical developments, I would suggest a practical approach. In our process, disputes are materialized by an appeal. Specific legal advice on the handling of a specific appeal is much more practical than abstract rulemaking.

-- Christian Huitema

Best Regards,

George T. Willingmyre, P.E.
President, GTW Associates