Re: Protocol Definition

2012-01-18 20:24:41

On 1/3/2012 5:53 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
Hi,

Can someone please explain me the term "Protocol". Does it also mean it
has some software code underlying beneath it. Please help me understand.

My 2 cents:

A protocol is a defined set of rules that function at multiple locations (communication endpoints) that enable shared state (communication), and is composed of:

        a defined set of messages ("on the wire" part)
        a defined set of states (localized endpoint state)
        a set of rules that relate message arrival, message departure,
        time (optionally), and state transition

It's a lot like computation where the input is the received message sequence and the output is the transmitted message sequence.

A protocol is to communications as an algorithm is to computation.

Code can be used to implement an algorithm.

Code can be used to implement a protocol on an endpoint.

I.e., a protocol is just a special kind of algorithm - one that is used to support communication.

A running algorithm is called a process or thread (typically). Since a protocol *is* an algorithm, a running protocol is just called a communicating process or thread, IMO.

A "session" or "connection" defines an association between multiple parties running the same protocol and thus communicating.

Joe