RE: Forthcoming draft: draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions

2012-01-26 17:47:10
Richard,

I think this is exactly the right situation for gut reactions.

The I-D specifically tries to stay away from being formulaic on the application
of sanctions. IMHO the circumstances are too complex to write code to handle.
Each application of sanctions will need human judgment.

We did (under some pressure :-) include an appendix to give some high-level
guidance on "things to think about".

Bright lines and sharp axes would be nice, but even civilized nations rarely
manage to achieve that in law systems. Unfortunate executions of innocent
bystanders is to be avoided.

But I do think the IETF can handle these decisions. They are no harder than
reaching rough consensus on intractable technical issues. And there seemed to me
(when writing the I-D) to be something of a swell of opinion that supports
applying sanctions.

Please continue to massage your gut, and react some more.

Cheers,
Adrian