RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-01-31 11:59:23
From: Noel Chiappa [mailto:jnc(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu]

Is that wise? I thought (IIRC, and maybe I'm spacing) the whole reason for
allocating this space was that 1918 space _couldn't_ easily be used for CGN
because there were too many conflicting usages.
[WEG] yes, but the general sense I got from the ensuing discussion was that no
one expects anyone to actually adhere to that advice (ie MUST NOT be used as
substitute for 1918 space), and as soon as the space is released, it'll be
"cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria..." because everyone and their
cousin will start using it as 1918-bis anyway, no matter whether the IETF wags
their fingers at them or not.

So, now we're making more 1918 space? This is a good idea... how? If we need
more 1918 space, let's do so
deliberately, and not kill the usefulness of this space for CGN. (Unless, of
course...)

[WEG] I think it provides a window of opportunity - get in before the place
gets busy. Hopefully by the time people have really adopted the space for
1918-type uses, working IPv4 CGN will be of less relevance... or at least
that's what I'm telling myself. This just acknowledges what people believe to
be the case instead of trying to deny that it'll happen.

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.