Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-03.txt> (Deprecating Use of the "X-" Prefix in Application Protocols) to Best Current Practice

2012-03-06 20:38:25
At 1:02 PM +1100 3/7/12, Mark Nottingham wrote:

 On 07/03/2012, at 10:32 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

 On 3/6/12 4:19 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:
 At 3:30 PM -0700 3/6/12, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

 In my working copy I've changed that paragraph to:

    Implementations of application protocols MUST NOT programatically
    discriminate between "standard" and "non-standard" parameters based
    solely on the names of such parameters (i.e., based solely on
    whether the name begins with 'x-' or a similar string of characters).

 I like this wording, especially because it more clearly gets at the
 heart of the document, which is to not discriminate based only on the
 name prefix.

 One question, though: should this be "SHOULD NOT" rather than "MUST
 NOT"?   The interoperability doesn't depend on implementations
 refraining from doing so, rather, we consider it more problematic to do
 so than not, so we are making a strong recommendation to not to so.
 Hence, "SHOULD NOT".

 Hi Randall,

 My co-author Mark Nottingham feels even more strongly about this issue
 than I do, so I will let him comment.

To me, the target of that language is software that generically treats protocol elements beginning with "x-" in a fundamentally different way, without knowledge of its semantics. That is broken, causes real harm, and I have seen it deployed.

Hi Mark,

The point of the draft is to say that it's a bad idea to do this or to try and have a system where this is expected. The draft does a good job at saying this. I just think a "MUST NOT" isn't warranted here; I think a "SHOULD NOT" is justified per RFC 2119. I think a "SHOULD NOT" makes the point: Doing it makes bad things happen.

--
Randall Gellens