Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-06 23:12:47

In message
<alpine(_dot_)BSF(_dot_)2(_dot_)00(_dot_)1203062148410(_dot_)34594(_at_)joyce(_dot_)lan>,
 "John R. Levine" wr
ites:
However we do have standard presentation/entry formats defined and a good
front end will accept those as well.

Sigh.  Now we're back to "people who don't do it my way are wrong", so I
guess we're done.

One of point of having standard presentation formats is that they
facilitate data interchange.  I can use my tools to generate the
records and your system can just accept it.  Having to re-format
data is a pain.  If you want to do something else as well there is
no problem with that.

It's a little like credit card numbers.  Breaking them up into 4
boxes of 4 digits and having to move the focus between boxes is a
absolute pain.  These should be cut and pastable, with or without
spaces in the middle.

There are international standards for telephone numbers but every
web developer seems to think they know best.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies
",
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org