Re: Montevideo statement

2013-10-08 08:20:08

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > I think the US executive branch would be better rid of the control
    > before the
    > vandals work out how to use it for mischief. But better would be to
    > ensure that
    > no such leverage exists. There is no reason for the apex of the DNS to
    > be a
    > single root, it could be signed by a quorum of signers (in addition to
    > the key

k-of-n signing for the DNSSEC root was talked about by many, including Tatu
Ylonen back in 1996...

I have an alternate proposal: every country's ccTLD should sign the root,
and/or the other TLDs.  That actually hands control of the DNS root back
to the legislatures in each country.  True: some countries might have
perverted notions of what belongs in the root, and we might get different
views of the Internet.  But, this happens already using a variety of
wrong mechanisms that cause harm to the Internet.

Better they do this using good crypto, than that they do this by trying to
subvert the (US-controlled) crypto.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works