Re: Internet standardisation remains unilateral

2013-10-21 10:48:38
At 3:30 PM +0200 10/21/13, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 09:08:43AM -0400,
 Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote
 a message of 27 lines which said:

 He invented the datagram...

Some people say it is Leonard Kleinrock. I welcome any precise
references on the history of the datagram, specially if they are

No, Kleinrock claims to have invented packet switching, not the datagram. There was an article before his death by Donald Davies, who looked quite closely at the claims that Kleinrock invented packet switching as well as Baran and Davies. I have read Kleinrock's thesis which is the source of the claim and I don't see it. Davies' very fair article did not see it either.

accessible online (whuich is rare for scientific papers of this
time). Anyway, the fact that someone did something great X years ago
(he also wrote the first shell and built Cyclades) does not mean he
cannot troll today.

I have contended that whether or not you see packet switching as a breakthrough depends largely on how old you are? ;-) People of the period from a more telecom background see the idea of breaking data into small pieces (remember message switching systems already existed) as a radical idea. If you were a little younger and your background is in computing, then packet switching in obvious. From a computer person's point of view, if the problem is posed of communicating between computers, the solutions is clear: The data is in a buffer, pick it up and send it. What else would you do? ;-)

Pouzin's insight was that the packets should be routed independently and not all follow the same path. Furthermore, Louis' reasoned that no matter how good the network was, the hosts would check to make sure that everything got there. Hence, he reasoned the network did not have to do a perfect job, but only make a "best effort" and that an end-to-end transport protocol would ensure reliability. You won't find any of this in Kleinrock's thesis. All of this was implemented in CYCLADES in 1972 (and is well documented in many papers which are on-line and in subsequent histories). The original ARPANET did not work this way, although Type 3 messages (datagrams) were added later. (I have always found it interesting that every project taken on by Baran and Larry Roberts after 1970 were all connection-oriented, none were based on the datagram concept.) The real revolution here is that Pouzin took communications from a deterministic model of connection-oriented to a stochastic model of datagrams.

For me, this shift in thinking comes in two stages that I liken to what we saw in geology: Some people came up with a new idea, packet switching (continental drift) and after looking at it, it was refined to the datagram concept (plate tectonics). While from a distance we often see these changes as sudden and complete in one big insight they seldom are.

Pouzin is one of the best thinkers I know. You may not like what he says, but even now he is far from being a troll. His hit rate exceeds most of us! ;-)

 I think his slides do miss some essential points, but that it's a
 case of correct numbers producing incorrect recommendations.

Fair summary. His remark about the use of english is a good
example. Is it a problem? Yes? Can anyone see a solution? No (and he
does not suggest one).

More on this after reading some more.

Take care,
John Day