Re: Community Input Requested on Trustees' Intent to Renounce "IETF Secretariat" Trademark

2014-04-15 22:18:21
Hi Ole,

IMHO any registered organisation (even if volunteering) has a market which
has users/customers. If there is a market, then there should be a logo and
if there is a logo then that is a marketing signal, but will always need
marketing (planning and strategies) to make that organisation not die in
future within its markets (specially volunteering organisations don't last
without marketing).

@ Trustees:
My point 4 needs amendment as follows:

4) many companies use IETF documents/meetings and participate/host but are
there integrated projects among those companies by using the IETF
trademark. I think that the IETF general area can establish projects among
those companies to produce some new IETF products. In that situation I
think the secretariats trademark can be helpful within that general area
works/projects. So I hope you define (defined conditions or situations or
markets) when we need or don't need that secretariats trademark, also that
you have a plan when to bring it back registered if your defined conditions
apply.