Re: "why I quit writing internet standards"

2014-04-16 09:32:10
On 4/16/2014 10:14 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:

If there's no running code, or pretty concrete plans and
commitments to get there, then there's really no need for an
Experimental RFC that will get a number and last forever.  An I-D
that expires in direct conjunction with the interest and energy in
it is just fine.

Except that an I-D usually doesn’t get IANA allocations, so you use a
number from the private space, and you have to coordinate with anyone
who wants to interoperate about which private number to use.

Sounds like a protocol design issue, in not supporting experimental
codepoint usage very well.

We fixed that recently in TCP, for instance, such that experimental
options can be used by anyone (see RFC 6994), as an example.

In any case, getting registry values only requires an RFC if it's a
really important protocol that the IESG won't approve the value for
otherwise.

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems