RE: The IETF environment

2014-04-25 10:32:12
This is a handy thread and brings into question what the 'S' in IESG is supposed
to mean.

On the whole I take it as Dave to mean that the IESG should facilitate. That may
mean spotting when people have focus and energy for a topic and helping to put
them together and make space for the work. But it also may mean spotting when
work "needs to be done" and encouraging people to get together to do that work.

(Internet Engineering Spotter Group?)

Adrian

From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave Crocker

My point was not meant as a statement of philosophy or criticism of the
IETF, but a description of the long-term operational model that covers
its actual history.

That model is for initiatives to come from the grass roots of the
community, seeking facilitation within the IETF.  These do not depend
upon strategic management directions being set.

With respect to getting work done, this is a bottom-up organization, not
a top-down one.  (That's why I think Area "Director" is a serious
misnomer and Area "Facilitator" would be far more accurate.)