Re: The IETF environment

2014-04-28 13:53:33
Hi Miles,
At 08:27 28-04-2014, Miles Fidelman wrote:
I think it's more accurate to say that the IETF has an "official role" as the standards body for Internet protocols - and there may be a mismatch between:

I was looking at the matter from an appeals perspective. I think that it might be more effective than discussing about "official role".

- how that role is "officially defined" (such that it is)

- what responsibilities go with such a role (based on expectations and experience with analogous environments and standards bodies that have a longer history - such as IEEE, ANSI, ISO, ITU, ...)

I'll leave the above questions to people with expertise about these topics.

- how IETF understands and executes its role (and given the somewhat bottom-up, ad hoc nature of IETF - how it's organization, policies, and operating procedures map onto exercising "official" roles and responsibilities"

That's an IETF governance question. :-)

- what holes there are that might need to be plugged, and how they might be plugged

The missing question in the above is "who is going to do the work".

Regards,
S. Moonesamy