Re: not really to do with Re: WG Review: Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance (dmarc)

2014-07-15 14:49:49
Of course people will suggest that we validate the personal name information.
Because at the end of the
day, spoofing is trying to make me believe that the message comes from "my
friend Viktor" when in fact it
does not. We may have perfect SPF, DKIM, DMARC and what have you, and still
get spoofed messages "From:
Viktor Dukhovni <viktor(_at_)dukhovni(_dot_)throwawaydomain(_dot_)biz>."

You know, that's what S/MIME with signed certificates is supposed to
do.  It's widely supported in MUAs and, well, meh.

R's,
John