Re: Consolidating BCP 10 (Operation of the NomCom)

2014-09-15 07:39:51

Michael StJohns <mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> wrote:
    > At 07:20 PM 9/13/2014, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
    >> Might it make sense to follow the original proposal first, and just ge
    >> the current procedures as understood documented in one place.  And
    >> make sure that is correct, before embarking on changes?

    > As far as I understand, Murray is proposing "no change in effective
    > behavior" in the first pass, so whether or not we manage to get an RFC
    > through before the next nomcom or not, the publication of a simply
    > updated 3777 is really nothing more than clean up without any change in
    > effect to the current Nomcom, nor in the behavior of any follow-on
    > Nomcom.

The idea was a clean up, no significant changes.

For instance, it turns out that you have to read very carefully to determine
that the IRTF chair is not eligible for nomcom, because the IRTF chair
is an ex-officio member of the IAB, and IAB members, including ex-officio
are not eligible.  It would be nice to include that conclusion explicitely.
I think that text about that should be included, and I'll propose some to
Murray.

On the other hand, it appears that both ISOC and AMSL (secretariat) employees
are nomcom eligible.  It's not clear that they should be; changing that
would require some additional thinking, and I would not propose any change.

    > That's a long winded way of saying no.  If there were a pressing need
    > for the current Nomcom, I'd suggest they use the "operational
    > discretion" portion of the document.  If there were a well understood
    > set of changes that have been incorporated in practice, but not in
    > documentation, I *might* say yes.  Neither of these appear to apply -
    > hence, "No".

The risk is a failure to pass on enough oral tradition from one nomcom chair
to another;  this results in proceedural mistakes due to mis-reading.  Being
consistent to what we wrote down is pretty important in my opinion.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-