Re: email standards (was: Re: facilitators at ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org)

2014-09-23 13:32:38
At 2:12 PM -0400 9/23/14, John C Klensin wrote:

 --On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:31 -0400 Phillip
 Hallam-Baker <phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> wrote:

 Case in point, did we really need to have two completely
 separate email standards? There was absolutely no possibility
 of common ground?

 I have discussed it with the AD who made the decision and he
 pointed out that before he made the two groups completely
 separate there was no progress on either. But end to end email
 has been hurt by the fact that we have two incompatible
 standards and they are both IETF standards.

 In my capacity as the document editor for one of the
 specifications I assume you are referring to, I have to confess
 to having no idea what you are talking about.

Surely PHB isn't saying that SMTP and the email format docs are incompatible? That would be a nonsensical assertion, since they are separate layers (the one is used to transport the other). Perhaps there are two different email standards that perform the same functions but are incompatible? Perhaps S/MIME and PGP? Or perhaps two different security related email specs?

--
Randall Gellens
Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?