Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-04 04:05:03
Mark,

I want developers and implementers to come to my meetings, not (just) people
who are the “regulars.” Given the short time blocks available in an IETF
meeting, as well as uncertainly around scheduling until just before the
meeting (travel scheduling-wise), it seems like we’re creating
ever-more-steep barriers to having them come to meetings.

I understand that the IETF has to stay "financial". However, I’d ask that we
consider a number of measures to help address this situation:

* Finalising the agenda (far) before it currently is, so that people can make
firm (and economic) travel plans without blocking out an entire week

* Freezing the day pass fee (and raising the “full week” fee proportionately)

* Allowing WGs to hold interim meetings without being required to meet at the
adjacent IETF meetings

To anticipate the objections this will raise — yes, I understand that things
are structured to encourage cross-particiption and information sharing
between groups. However, I believe that in doing so, all we’re really doing
is discouraging participation by people who don’t have the time or interest
in focusing their careers on standards full-time.

Good points. FWIW, I am in very much agreement with this.

Jari