Personal note re: an IPR disclosure

2014-11-10 13:45:11
Folks,

You are about to see an IPR disclosure that lists me as the "IETF Participant Whose Personal Belief Triggered this Disclosure" on RFC 6726, a document which has another Qualcomm employee as a co-author. I wanted to provide a public explanation of what appears to be a *very* late disclosure. Neither I, nor the co-author of RFC 6726, were previously aware of the patent identified in this disclosure. While recently reviewing the patent for other reasons, another Qualcomm engineer, who is not an IETF participant but happened to be familiar with FLUTE, realized that the patent might cover the technology. Upon reviewing the RFC, we decided that the right thing to do would be to disclose. Since the engineer in question is not an IETF participant, I chose to put my name on the disclosure. Had either the co-author of the RFC or I been aware of the patent prior to this time, we would have disclosed then.

Nobody is ever thrilled when there are late disclosures, but we all still want disclosures made as soon as reasonably possible once IPR of this sort is discovered.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478