Re: DNS64, DANE and DPRIV

2014-12-07 17:04:36

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > The point of DNS64 is to provide a mechanism that makes it easy to turn on
    > IPv6 today. All the client needs is a connection to a DNS router that
    > supports DNS64.

You worded that wrong.
DNS64 lets people turn off IPv4 (and/or avoid NAT4*4).

    > Because of network circumstances a client using DNS64 is almost certainly
    > going to need to use DPRIV for access simply because port 53 has been
    > sabotaged so thoroughly. So we are going to have to trust the DPRIV
    > resolver to level 1 at minimum

That's an interesting observation: can you elaborate on the sabotage?
I think I know, but I'd rather you were more clear about this.

I've wanted DNS64 to happen in the host, and given that a number of hosts had
to be fixed to function in IPv6 only environments, a change to include DNS64
would not be crazy in my opinion, and eliminates much of the end-to-end
DNSSEC-breakage that DNS64 can imply.

(or to put it another way: when you turn on end-host DNSSEC validation,
and enable DPRIV, you had better provide DNS64 at the same time)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-