Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-06.txt> (Draft Response to the Internet Coordination Group Request for Proposals on the IANA protocol parameters registries) to Informational RFC

2014-12-09 07:18:37
Hi John,

Responding to your message on 12/2/14, 7:11 PM, I am returning to one
issue that I have yet to address:

At the top of page 8, it refers to disputes about policy.  To me the
question is ambiguous: does it mean disputes within the IETF, or
disputes between the IETF and IANA, e.g., "we can't implement that"?
As far as I know, there's never been a significant policy dispute with
IANA, so you might as well say so for anyone who was wondering about
that question.

Your point is well taken.  The draft later contains the following statement:

To date there have been no unresolvable disputes or issues.

RFC 2860 specifies what is to happen in the case of a technical dispute.

I propose to make crystal clear what you have said above, as follows

To date there have been no unresolved disputes or issues between the
IETF and the current IANA functions operator.  [RFC2860] specifies that
should a technical dispute arise, "the IANA shall seek and follow
technical guidance exclusively from the IESG."

Eliot