Re: Closing down draft-secretaries-good-practices

2014-12-09 09:28:27
Adrian - I have to say I had an entirely different experience than you
apparently did with the IETF discussion of this document.  Without exhaustively
reviewing the various threads, my recollection is that the *content* of the
document was mostly considered useful, while there was significant disagreement
with the *process* of publishing that content as a BCP or (later) Informational
RFC.  I specifically don't recall any attempt to ascribe anything but good
intentions to the authors and I do recall many descriptions of the content of
the document like "very useful material" (my own words).

I truly don't understand how a discussion of the process through which material
like the contents of this document can be construed as "over the line".  It
seems to me members of the IETF community had a difference of opinion (I
wouldn't even call it as strong as "healthy paranoia") about the best way in
which the material in the document should be made available to the community.
I would recognize this difference of opinion as a recognition of the way in
which IETF processes have evolved: material that may change over time, such as
the responsibilities of WG admins, would be better made available without
significant overhead to updates.  In general, the discussion seemed quite
constructive and healthy to me.

I further disagree that draft-secretaries-good-practices necessarily reflects
"the current state of [the IETF's] own processes".  As I wrote, neither of the
two WGs I currently work for generate enough administrative work to warrant a
secretary.  I managed to chair/co-chair another WG for many years without a
secretary.

In summary, I respectfully disagree with your assessment that "a lot of what is
bad about the IETF emerged during the discussions".  Rather, in my opinion, the
IETF discussion was appropriate to the review and assessment of consensus.  I
hope the authors will consider posting their work on an appropriate IETF wiki
page so we can all benefit from it.

- Ralph

On Dec 9, 2014, at 9:40 AM 12/9/14, Adrian Farrel