RE: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ipv6-14.txt> (Updates to LDP for IPv6) to Proposed Standard

2014-12-22 10:06:49
Hi Adrian,
We found interop issues with two other widely deployed implementations in which
the LDP IPv4 session was brought down.

One implementation was with receiving IPv6 addresses over the LDPv4 session and
the behavior did not seem to change with a few versions of the implementation
we tried. The second implementation was with IPv6 FECs over the LDPv4 session.
This last one was fixed in a subsequent release but we lately found out that
there were still issues with withdrawing/releasing the IPv6 FECs.

The issue exists in both p2p and broadcast interfaces. The thing is that as
soon as a router is upgraded to this implementation, it will automatically
begin advertising IPv6 addresses and IPv6 FECs over the LDPv4 session. Based on
testing so far, and we have not tested all possible OS and hardware versions,
we believe it is risky to advertise these by default and hence our proposal to
play it safe and only advertise them if the peer LSR explicitly advertised its
support for IPv6 FECs by including the IPv6 FEC capability in the session
initialization.

The draft now added a similar check using the dual-stack capability TLV at the
adjacency level instead of our proposal of using the capability TLV at the
session level. It does complicate the check of the peer capabilities and as
such I provided comments in the last call email to clarify the behavior of that
proposal.

Regards,
Mustapha.