Re: Updating BCP 10 -- some minor bits

2015-01-09 12:49:27
At 01:34 PM 1/9/2015, Michael Richardson wrote:
2) several of us suggest that the Chair for year X, be appointed prior to the
  the beginning of the Third IETF of year X-1.  This permits the
  chair-elect/future-chair, to participate and learn about the process prior
  to starting.  While this adds about 4 months to the duration of the chair
  duties, it probably reduces their stress sufficiently that they will live
  an extra year longer.

It used to be usual that  the Chair for year X was a member of Nomcom X-1.
Doing a quick review I see that there are a number of recent (last 10 or so)
years where that isn't the case.

It may be time to try and add that back into the chair selection criteria with
increased emphasis.

It may also be time to add "MUST have been a nomcom member in the last 4 years"
to that selection criteria.

I wouldn't do the overlap - the role of the "future chair" would need to be
that of a mute fly on the wall to keep from perturbing the process.  Kind of
boring IMHO.

Mike