Re: IDNA and U+08A1 and related cases (was: Re: Barry Leiba's Discuss on draft-ietf-json-i-json-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT))

2015-01-26 20:12:27
While I'm certainly in favor of shaming evildoers, keep two
things in mind.  First, while the number of distinct registry
operators is much smaller, the number of TLDs may soon exceed
the number of active CAs. ...

For the new gTLDs, ICANN has a long set of rules which boil down to
pick a set of script tables and only allow names in a single script.
Having looked a a lot of the tables, I can report that almost without
excpetion, if they allow any IDNs at all, the applicants picked a
small set of scripts and copied the tables from existing gTLDs.

The ones from countries that use Roman scripts tend to have a handful
of Roman tables like Spanish, French and English, the ones from
Cyrillic countries have Russian and maybe one more like Serbian, the
ones from China have traditional and simplified, the ones from Korea
have the same table as .kr, and the ones from Japan have the same
table as .jp.  The lack of creativity is quite heartening.

Of course, you can put any crud in the 3LD and below, but that's
always been true.

R's,
John