Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs-05.txt> (Updated TLS Server Identity Check Procedure for Email Related Protocols) to Proposed Standard

2015-11-23 23:12:16
On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 02:41:29PM +0000, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

(1)  In Introduction says:

   Note that this document doesn't apply to use of TLS in MTA-to-MTA
   SMTP.

Can this be enhanced to include a pointer to where this can be found?

Currently this is discussed in draft-friedl-uta-smtp-mta-certs, but this
is not a WG document, so I would rather not have a pointer.

IIRC that document is not really intended to be standards track,
I think it is intended to be more of a BCP for facilitating explicit
secure-channels between domains that to manually configure mandatory
TLS security.  [I expect to be involved in further progress on that
document].

MTA-to-MTA at scale is opportunistic, and the relevant documents
for opportunistic discovery and use of TLS authentication in SMTP
are presently RFC 7435 and RFC 7672.

--
        Viktor.