Re: Registration for remote participation

2017-05-11 18:10:09
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 05:35:24PM +0000, Stephan Wenger wrote:
(there were also other motivations, including the handy creation of
a SPAM list from IETF archival material such as the proceedings).

I'm trying to stay out of the rest of this, but let me add two notes
at this point.

First, the proper term is "spam".  "SPAM" is a product of the Hormel
Corporation and has nothing to do with email.  "Spam" is not an acronym
and it is incorrect to present it in all-caps.

Second, there is no point whatsoever in worrying about whether spammers
will acquire addresses from such a list: they already have them, for
a value of "them" somewhere in 9 or 10 digits.  (And any newly-created
ones will be in their hands soon enough, via a variety of methods which
would take many pages to describe.)

---rsk