mharc-users

Re: How to work with mhonarc archives?

2002-07-19 18:14:39
On July 19, 2002 at 14:47, "Wang, Mary Y" wrote:

I understand MHArc is design to work independently of a given list
management software.  Is there any other way that I can still hook up the
search function for the archive files (my files are in php) that are located
in /var/mhonarc/archives/public/listname/ directory?

I do not understand your question.  If you are refering to mhonarc
archives not managed by mharc, then yes, you can make the searchable.

You can look at the script bin/mk-search-index that comes with mharc
to see how mharc invokes namazu to generate a search index for an
archive.

[Side Note: mk-search-index is not used by mharc directly since the
            web-archive script invokes mknmz directly.  The script
            exists as an alternative for building a search index
            for a mharc archived list. ]

Note, if you are saying that your mhonarc archives have generated
PHP pages, then I do not know how namazu, or other search engines,
will behave.  You may need to use something like htdig which does
indexing by crawling your web server.  Namazu only works on files
on the local filesystem, so it would be reading the raw PHP files
while htdig will be indexing the HTML version of the files delivered
to a client viewing the PHP pages.

I tried to use Eric Friedman's MHonarc Search Engine, but for some reason,
it didn't search correctly.

Eric's tool is quite old and noone supports it.

--ewh