mhonarc-users

Re: Out of memory/bus error

1996-06-05 10:00:46
Achim Bohnet said:
Thomas Wolmer VK/EHS/VE said:
[stuff deleted]
When digestiong mail folders with large ugly messages (at, say 688242
bytes), MHonArc runs out of memory. It wanted to try to address this
with the -savemem option but...
[more stuff deleted]
So, I hardcoded my precious -savemen ( $SLOW = 1; ) in MHonArc but it
still runs out of memory. Bummer. 680k isn't that much is it?

Your resources seem really limited. There where reports about successful
conversion of ~ 17MB mailboxes. Check your process limits  (with limit or
ulimit) and swap space. Maybe there are too many other memory consuming
processes?    Hmm... may be you triggered somehow a infinite
memory eating loop. Try to watch the memory usage of the mhonarc process
during the convertion (as a first step simply use top).

Lemmesee...

limit says I have plenty of space to use and top (at an abitrary moment
when mhonarc isn't running) reports nothing alarming, even though the
machine isn't exactly having a lazy day on the beach.

But this is what top said just before mhonarc gives in:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
28377 cmpx      15    0   16M   12M run     0:08 11.81% 30.11% mhonarc

And this is on the 692759k mailbox containing among other things that ugly
message. Anyone wants a look at it? (mail me - I don't want to make it
universally available in the Web).

--
Thomas Wolmer VK/EHS/VE
Ericsson Hewlett-Packard Telecommunications AB - but not speaking for them