mhonarc-users

Re: mhonarc breaking up messages in the middle?

1997-08-27 16:59:05
I have recently seen some flakey behavior, however.  One message in my
 mailbox file keeps getting split in the middle for no apparent
reason.  I have tried a number of things to correct this problem.
I've rerun mhonarc after deleting .mhonarc.db and all the .html files
from the outdir.  Sometimes, it's as though mhonarc remembers its
previous conversions even though I've deleted the .mhonarc.db file.
Is this possible?

From the FAQ:

 Why does a message get split into mulitple messages with no headers?

If you are processing UUCP mailbox files, messages are separated by a
line starting with "From " (ie. The word "From" followed by a space).
Some mail software will prefix lines in message bodies with a `>' to avoid
MUA's from incorrectly treating the line as a message separator. However,
some mail software doesn't.

To avoid incorrect separator detection, many MUAs perform a more
stricter detection of separators beyond "From ". MHonArc, by default,
will treat lines starting with "From " as a message separator, which can
lead to incorrect message termination if the From line has not been
escaped with a `>'.

To fix the problem, use the MSGSEP resource to instruct MHonArc to
use a stricter test detecting a message separator. The following MSGSEP
resource setting is known to work well:

<MsgSep>
^From \S+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s+\d+
</MsgSep>

If this fails, you can try the CONLEN resource available in v2.0. The
CONLEN resource, when set, tells MHonArc to utilize the
Content-Length fields in the message head. If your MTA defines this
field accurately (sendmail on Solaris does), then you can utilize this
feature.