mhonarc-users

RE: Cacheing and mhonarc indexes

1998-02-19 15:16:33
----------
From:         Claire
McNab[SMTP:claire(_at_)siberia(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]

I've been pondering something about the impact of cacheing
(both locally and via proxy servers), and its impact on mhonarc

Basically, an index page is updated whever the archive is
modified, but if a user has cached an earlier copy of the
index, that won't refclect the changes.  So, every time a
user looks at the index, should he/she reload it?

This "problem" occured to me as well when I was developing my
MHonArc archive.

        [snipped thoughts about use of the "expires" META tag]

Can anyone help me get my head around this?

Rather than use the "expires" META tag, I used the "no-cache"
pragma.  I redefined the appropriated resources (<IdxPgBegin> and
<TIdxPgBegin>) as in the example below:

  <IdxPgBegin>
  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN">
  <HTML>
  <HEAD>
  <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
  <TITLE>$IDXTITLE$</TITLE>
  </HEAD>
  <BODY>
  <H1>$IDXTITLE$</H1>
  <HR>
  </IdxPgBegin>

You can see the complete resource files I use and the resulting
archive by following the links from:

    http://www.wco.com/~snevel/mhonarc.html

HTH

Simeon