mhonarc-users

Re: A Email to WWW GaTeWaY, is there such a Thing?

1998-06-01 18:28:17
In article <35741de3(_dot_)362727078(_at_)news(_dot_)teleport(_dot_)com>,
Tim Roberts <timr(_at_)probo(_dot_)com> wrote:
f95pegr(_at_)granis(_dot_)hemmet(_dot_)s-hem(_dot_)chalmers(_dot_)se (Peter
Granroth) wrote:
on Wed, 27 May 1998 21:21:08 -0500, Igor shared with us:
If you know where I can find email-to-www gateway (a-la Hotmail) so that
I could read email from my Web Browser via HTTP, please email me.

May I ask, why would you like to do that????

I'll give you a scenario.  My primary mail server is at my own office.
However, I do a fair amount of work at client locations, where they have
firewalls of various kinds.

There are several ways I can read my mail from the client's location.  I
can telnet into our server and run the Linux mail command; however, for
some reason, access through the telnet proxy servers appears to be in
permanent molasses mode.  I often have a one MINUTE delay for a command to
respond.  Plus, the Linux mail we use doesn't have a "more" option, so I
can only see the last 50 lines of each message.  However, the http proxy is
quite responsive.

So, I telnet in, fire off the MHonArc package which converts my mail file
to html pages, logout, and pop up a web browser to actually read the mail.
Much nicer.

Another approach is to automate the conversion process as mail comes in
(either via cron or .forward) with MHonArc (to avoid the telnet).  For
example, when you know you'll be away, you can set up the job to keep
an archive the last X number of messages (X being a number to your
liking).

If using Apache, you can have the archive in a location that is
protected via a local .htaccess/.htpasswd to prevent wandering users
reading your mail.  This way you can do secure checking of your mail
via the web while you are away to see if anything important has arrived
that needs your attention.

        --ewh

P.S.  This nifty little idea was suggested to me from a friend during
a personal conversation awhile back (as a solution to a related problem).

P.P.S.  Since this is comp.lang.perl.misc, I should not forget to
mention that MHonArc is written in Perl.
<URL:http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html>