mhonarc-users

Re: Alternative to Glimpse for Wilma

1998-08-19 20:25:19
"HP" == Harry Patterson <harry(_at_)visiontm(_dot_)com> writes:

HP> Are there any plans to modify Wilma to use other Free search engines?

Wilma is quite closely tied to Glimpse; in essence, you'd have to toss all
of the code.  Using a non-free indexing engine gave me pause more than
once, but there simply isn't anything else that works like glimpse.

Of course, if someone did pay the money to use Glimpse, they'd have some
pull to get them to fix the huge pile of bugs present in the later
versions.  I still use 3.0 myself; Wilma will easily blow up anything later
than 3.6.

Now, your problem seems to stem from the perception that you need a license
to use Glimpse.  Here is the copyright notice from version 3.0:

Glimpse was developed by Udi Manber and Burra Gopal of the University of
Arizona, and Sun Wu of the National Chung-Cheng University, Taiwan.
Permission is granted to copy this software, to redistribute it
on a nonprofit basis, and to use it for any purpose, subject to
the following restrictions and understandings.

1. Any copy made of this software must include this copyright notice
in full.

2. All materials developed as a consequence of the use of this
software shall duly acknowledge such use, in accordance with the usual
standards of acknowledging credit in academic research.

3. The authors have made no warranty or representation that the
operation of this software will be error-free or suitable for any
application, and they are under under no obligation to provide any
services, by way of maintenance, update, or otherwise.  The software
is an experimental prototype offered on an as-is basis.

4. Redistribution for profit requires the express, written permission
of the authors.  Non-exclusive licenses can be obtained for a small fee.
Contact the authors at glimpse(_at_)cs(_dot_)arizona(_dot_)edu(_dot_)

I can give it to you if I don't charge for it, and you can use it for
whatever you want as long as you don't sell it.  Where do you see the need
for a license?  Perhaps you're looking at the copyright for the hellishly
buggy version 4.1, which you don't want to use anyway.

Too bad they don't just free the source; it looks like nobody's working on
it any longer.
--
Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs(_at_)uh(_dot_)edu - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94
PC800