mhonarc-users

Re: imap and MS Outlook

1999-01-21 09:20:26
| On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Stephen Perkins wrote:
|
| > Unfortunately, the attachments generated by outlook don't use
| > mulit-part MIME.  Instead, the attachments are inlined as a bunch of
| > uuencoded blocks.  Mhonarc does not recognize them as attachments.
|
| That is because these are NOT attachments according to email standards.

MS uses a botch called TNEF (for "Transport-Neutral Encapsulation
Format").  I had the same problem when I moved all my mail out of Outlook
using IMAP... the attachments are locked up in that proprietary format.

Getting them out again won't be easy.  I tried to write a utility that
would translate them to standard MIME, but even with some help from the
MAPI documentation on the MSDN CDs it was clear it would take a long
time to crack the code.  I can't find anyone else on the 'net that has
tried it.  It sure would be useful!

| It is possible to configure Outhouse to send mail in more Internet
| friendly ways, although it takes a bit of work.

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the problem of rescuing two years'
history in your Outlook mail folders.  :-(

--
Brent J. Nordquist / bjn(_at_)visi(_dot_)com   |   Windows not found
W: +1 651 905-7806                  |   (C)heer, (D)ance, (S)ing?