mhonarc-users

Re: Displaying date in the index

1999-02-03 09:55:26
   Please forget my first reply which was incomplete.

I simply want to make my Mhonarc indexes (I use the defaults, order and
thread) display the date of the message.

   I quite agree that displaying the dates on the indexes is useful.

I just want the indexes (at least the order one anyway) to look like:

- <SUBJECT>
      - <FROM>
      - <DATE>

instead of the

- <SUBJECT>
      - <FROM>

that is the default.

   As far as the *MAIN* index is concerned the default is indeed what
you say, namely:

<LiTemplate>
<LI><STRONG>$SUBJECT$</STRONG>
<UL><LI><EM>From</EM>: $FROM$</LI></UL>
</LI>
</LiTemplate>

   For the *THREAD* index you have to consider at least three different
resources: TSINGLETXT, TTOPBEGIN and TLITXT. Also the defaults have a
different design:

<TSingleTxt>
<LI><STRONG>$SUBJECT$</STRONG>, <EM>$FROMNAME$</EM>
</TSingleTxt>

<TTopBegin>
<LI><STRONG>$SUBJECT$</STRONG>, <EM>$FROMNAME$</EM>
</TTopBegin>

<TLiTxt>
<LI><STRONG>$SUBJECT$</STRONG>, <EM>$FROMNAME$</EM>
</TLiTxt>

   Why is it that $FROMNAME$ is appended to the SUBJECT line in the
$FROM$ on a separate line? There may be a subtle reason for that,
which I don't know.

   My personal taste is to have on both indexes:
   - $FROMNAME$ appended to the SUBJECT line,
   - a DATE line,
   - no FROM line.

   To achieve that I picked up the defaults from the documentation,
modified them as follows and inserted them in my RCFILE.

<LiTemplate>
<LI><STRONG>$SUBJECT$</STRONG>, <EM>$FROMNAME$</EM>
<UL><LI><EM>Date</EM>: $DATE$</LI></UL>
</LI>
</LiTemplate>

<TSingleTxt>
<LI><STRONG>$SUBJECT$</STRONG>, <EM>$FROMNAME$</EM>
<UL><LI><EM>Date</EM>: $DATE$</LI></UL>
</TSingleTxt>
<TTopBegin>
<LI><STRONG>$SUBJECT$</STRONG>, <EM>$FROMNAME$</EM>
<UL><LI><EM>Date</EM>: $DATE$</LI></UL>
</TTopBegin>
<TLiTxt>
<STRONG>$SUBJECT:40$</STRONG>, <EM>$FROMNAME$</EM>
<UL><LI><EM>Date</EM>: $DATE$</LI></UL>
</TLiTxt>