mhonarc-users

Re: RFC: Character sets in MHonArc (was private Re: MHonArc DOC )

1999-03-28 21:53:04
Earl wrote:

Comments?  Especially from Japanese-based users of MHonArc?

Are any users setting the <META http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=XXXX"> in their MHonArc generated pages?
Or specifying a particular charset through the HTTP server?

I added the following line to httpd.conf:

AddType 'text/html; charset=EUC-JP'     html htm

and this works fine for any modern Japanese-enabled browsers.
RFC 2070 explains META HTTP-EQUIV technique is unreliable.

Unicode (UTF-8) can be displayed by Netscape Navigator 4.0 or later.
(And I think MS-IE 4.0 or later are also good.)
Once I tried to make an any-to-Unicode filter using Unicode::Map,
and discovered that Microsoft's CP932 table is much better than
JISX0208 table in converting Japanese code.
--
Koichi Nakatani