mhonarc-users

adding files via * and <

1999-05-23 21:24:58
hello

I am looking to find an answer to why Mhonarc would add files via this format

mhonarc -add -rcfile something -outdir someplace <filename-in

and see those same files (I cleared the db file between these two) as "no
new files" when done this way

mhonarc -add -rcfile something -outdir someplace *

I am attempting to archive a few newsgroups to the web via mhonarc on a
486/66. adding the files the second way would be much much quicker (as it
don't have to read and re-read the db file), but when I try, it sees the
files, just doesn't do any real processing on them...

below you will find some real output of when I try the "*" way.

mhonarc -add -rcfile /usr/local/etc/mhonarc/news/rcfile/ripco1/alt.perl
-outdir /tmp/news/2 /tmp/news/*.alt.perl

Reading resource file: /usr/local/etc/mhonarc/news/rcfile/ripco1/alt.perl ...
Adding messages to /tmp/news/2
Reading /tmp/news/001-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/002-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/003-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/004-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/005-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/006-319.alt.perl
.
.
.
Reading /tmp/news/315-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/316-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/317-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/318-319.alt.perl
Reading /tmp/news/319-319.alt.perl
No new messages

and when I do it by "<"

 mhonarc -add -rcfile /usr/local/etc/mhonarc/news/rcfile/ripco1/alt.perl
-outdir /tmp/
news/2 </tmp/news/001-319.alt.perl
Reading resource file: /usr/local/etc/mhonarc/news/rcfile/ripco1/alt.perl ...
Adding message to /tmp/news/2

Writing mail .
Writing /tmp/news/2/index.html ...
Writing /tmp/news/2/threads.html ...
Writing database ...
1 messages

  MHonArc v2.3.3 (Perl 5.00404)
  Copyright (C) 1995-1998  Earl Hood, earlhood(_at_)usa(_dot_)net
  MHonArc comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY and MHonArc may be copied only
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License, which may be found in
  the MHonArc distribution.

thanks for any help you can provide.

benji

spunge(_at_)spunge(_dot_)org    http://www.spunge.org
spunge(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com     http://www.ripco.com/~spunge
ben(_at_)anduin(_dot_)eldar(_dot_)org   http://www.eldar.org/~ben
 ** Finger ben(_at_)anduin(_dot_)eldar(_dot_)org for PGP public key **