mhonarc-users

Re: persistently linking to within archives

1999-11-23 16:37:44
Okay.  A few choice documents later, I'm on a much firmer footing.  I
want to belatedly clarify where I'm coming from.

My core assumption is this: I'm implementing a system designed to store
and retrieve mailing list metadata, for use with current versions of
MHonArc, specifically targeting unix platforms.  I'm not going out of my
way to break windows, but I don't have any wintel systems handy and I
don't know windows well.

I'm using Perl, because of MHonArc's lead, because of platform
neutrality, and because Perl makes me happy.

My primary contribution is a simple, relational data model for storing
multi-archive metadata.  (I happily realized a couple days ago that I
was simultaneously working on the subject & authors project I mentioned
on 10/24.)  Whether the data model is implemented with a Perl
DBI-compliant DBMS, or with DB_File, should not be surpassingly
important.

Secondary contributions, such as tools used to provide data to the
database, and CGIs used to query the database, are expected to be
readily portable between implementations of the data model, and may be
partially/mostly applicable to other systems similar to MHonArc, such as
hypermail.  However, this is just a happy accident.

I'm doing this primarily for myself, because my archives need this
functionality.  I intend to have it fully functional by the first of the
year, pending the survival of civilization.  I recognize the astonishing
diversity of MHonArc installations - I had a good giggle when Mr.
Breidenbach asked if MH could handle more than 100,000 messages in an
archive, considering as I do a 2,500 message archive to be on the hefty
side - I don't know how universal my solution is going to be,
particularly in the early stages.

The SDSC SRB is many times thicker than anything I had envisioned --
it's a project informed by their staggeringly large data sets (I don't
recall ever having seen petabytes mentioned unironically before).
However, it is sort of a parallel project, and I'm having a good time
poring over the documentation and identifying things to borrow, both
short and long term.  I am grateful for the reference.