mhonarc-users

Re: RE in wilma_termplate.cf

1999-12-01 22:56:19
On November 25, 1999 at 20:53, Harry Putnam wrote:

This is really more of a "wilma" question, if that is inappropriate
here, let me know.

I no very little about wilma, but I can answer one of your questions.

## # [ wilma wilma_reindex ]
## # A Perl regular expression returning the year and month numbers
## # in $1 and $2, respectively, from the HTML archive directory
## # name. Backslashes must be doubled due to configuration variable
## # interpolation.
##
## ARC_REGEX  = ((?:19|20)?\\d\\d)(\\d\\d)$
           $1 -----^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^---- $2

What does it mean in perleze to say " A Perl regular expression
returning the year and month numbers in $1 and $2, respectively,.."

What does $1 and $2 refer to?

They are backreferences.  Anytime you use ()'s in a Perl regex,
if there is match, the value is stored in a backreference variable
starting with $1.  $2 is the seconds set of ()'s, $3 is the third
set of ()'s, and so on.

Also spent about 2 hr on the MHonArc maillist archive, enough to learn
quite a bit but also to get my head spinning.

That will do it.