mhonarc-users

Re: Idea for the future

2000-11-28 16:45:01
Hi Earl,

I'd prefer the bodies are statically converted since it can be
an expensive operation.  Message headers can be formatted on the
fly.

Not totally sure what you mean here regarding bodies. With regard to
headers I was thinking in terms of being able to choose certain dates
(for example) and only records that fall between those dates would be
returned to the browser. You could also search by subject and the search
would be done on a super fast database index instead of some kind of
free text search of thousands of pages of HTML. Again, only the pages of
interest would be returned.

I have thought of this along time ago.  It is a change on some of
the functional goals of MHonArc: no dynamic system is required to view
archives.  I.e.  One can read MHonArc archives w/o the need of a server.

Yes, that's a good point, but I imagine most MHonArc users have web
servers these days even if it's just the one that ships with Windows?

I have considered that MHonArc v3 would be a more dynamic system and
designed to allow DB hooks and a cleaner API.  I just have not gotten
around to implementing it yet since it is basically a complete rewrite.

I have no doubt it would be a major project, however I don't really see
why it could not retain it's present static capabilities and still offer
a database back end as an option?

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)