mhonarc-users

Re: getting text of message as resource variable

2002-05-01 12:18:40

On May 1, 2002 at 15:55, Greg Matheson wrote:

I guess I could parse the email messages myself and pass the
bodies in as environmental variables to MHonArc. This solution
still would have the problem of deciding which email message
corresponded with which MHonArc file name.

Search the mailing list archives.  A while back someone asked about
including some messag body text in index pages.  Since the user could
pre-process the mail before it was passed to MHonArc, I recommended
leveraging the annotation feature to get the desired effect.
I.e. Pre-create an annotation for each message including the first
few lines of a message and then use the $NOTE$ resource variable to
include it in the index.

--ewh

I found that article, but hadn't seen the value.  Thanks for pointing it
out.

I am actually hoping to put the whole email inline, so I guess that I can
look at pre-parsing, or perhaps it would be worth looking at adding the
parsing into the main code and generating a similar variable containing the
whole message body?  Do you think that this will be difficult to add?

Where would I find the $NOTE$ variable being assigned to in the code?  (If
asking this is lazy then please don't reply, I haven't got the code with me
at the moment so I haven't tried to look for it myself)

Also a quick structural question that I can't quite work out.  If I have a
complete maildir of mail, and I process this once.  How much "processing
power" and "IO" will be required to re-run the index page generation again,
assuming that no new mail arrives into the Maildir location?  Will it be a
quite lightweight operation the second time (it appears to be) or is the
whole thing recreated?

Thanks for your help Earl - apologies for the rather basic questions.

Great tool!

Ed