mhonarc-users

Re: spam-proofing my mhonarc archive

2003-02-20 12:41:37
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:43:03 -0600
Earl Hood <earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com> wrote:

On February 18, 2003 at 04:51, Gary Frederick wrote:
Does not cope with a list member using an email account not
subscribed

I would not worry about this.  The person is required to use the
subscribed account to send mail to the list, they should use the same
account to reply to someone via the list archive.

If you want to support list members using alternative accounts, you
can have pseudo list that allows members to register alternate
addresses that are allowed to post to the list.  The mhonarc.org
mailing lists provide this via its mhonarc-allow pseudo list.

I front my lists with TMDA for this very reason.  That way I don't have
to care if someone is subscribed or not.  This works out well as I've a
significant number of members who read the list off the web archives
(and post via web), and am about to gate the lists to moderated
newsgroups which of course have no subscriber lists.

TMDA also had the nice side effect of kicking SPAM and virus mail in the
head.  From a base receipt rate of ~50 per day per list less than one
per month gets thru TMDA.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?