mhonarc-users

Re: How many messages can be in a mailbox file?

2003-06-30 16:12:08
Thanks,

more below.

Gary

Earl Hood wrote:
On June 30, 2003 at 14:20, Gary Frederick wrote:

I am building a new archive. I just installed MHonArc 2.6.4 and am on Windows XP, 512Mb Memory, 20Gb free memory.

I am trying to read an archive that has around 60,000 messages in it. I got the mail file by taking several smaller mail files and using formail to get them all into one email file. I have built an archive with the smaller files.

MHonArc runs and runs and runs and then when it is probably done reading messages, hangs.

Have others created new archives with 60,000 messages?

Is there anything I can do?

Maybe use mharc, <http://www.mhonarc.org/mharc/>.  With mharc, the
mailbox can be broken up by month, or year, MHonArc archives, getting
around the uber-archive problem.

Since you are using Windows XP, you will probably need to install
Cygwin to use mharc.

I want to have the one big file create the archive. I'll go with the previous files that are more or less broken up into the year they were posted (around 10,000 messages for each year).

I had installed mharc and played a bit. The css was inspiration for some of what I did. I plan to go back and work with mharc again - when I have time.

If mharc is not your cup of tea, you can use the mbox-month-pack
to split the mailbox into monthly mailbox files and then create a
MHonArc archive for each month (something that mharc actually does).

It is hard to say if the "hang" is due to the size of the mailbox,
or some bug. Usually, if memory is a problem, you would get an out of
memory error, but with Windows, who knows.

I could look a bit further if you are interested. Let me know what to look for. I may go test on Linux to see if it's different. I'll post if I find anything interesting, or will just get the archive built which is what I wanted in the first place :-) (Using mharc is a good idea)

Gary