mhonarc-users

Re: Beginner General Questions

2003-07-26 10:51:01
On July 26, 2003 at 14:48, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

I installed the application using 'perl install.me' ...

I am also getting an error "mhamain.pl did not return a true value"
when adding messages -
http://www.exceltip.com/cgi-bin/mhonarc/contrib/mhastart.pl (pass:
test2003).

Hmm.. It seems as if the script successfully fetches messages from the
POP account, and appends them to the mbox file, but the
updatearchive() function fails when it tries to require mhamain.pl.

Can mhamain.pl have been corrupted at installation? "did not return a
true value" sounds to me as if you should check that the last line of
mhamain.pl is:

1;

Since you installed MHonArc using the install.me file, you have
apparently shell access. Maybe Earl has some good idea how to find out
what causes the error.

If there is shell access, mhastart.pl is probably not needed.

As for mhamain.pl, from looking at mhastart.pl, you need to make
sure $lib is set properly to insure you are getting the right mhamain.pl
(it is possible that there may exist more than mhamain.pl on the system).

Did perl install.me generate any errors?

Did mhamain.pl get corrupted?  Since mhonarc was installed via install.me,
from the shell, what does the following command generate:

  mhonarc -v

A potential useful change to mhastart.pl is to wrap the requiring of
mhamain.pl in an eval block:

  eval {
    require 'mhamain.pl';
  };
  if ($@) {
    die "Unable to require 'mhamain.pl': $(_at_)\n",
        "\(_at_)INC = (\n", join("\n", @INC), ")\n";
  }

This way the value of @INC is dumped during the error so one gets
an idea where to look for mhamain.pl.  And, if the error indicates
that mhamain.pl was not found, then @INC can be examined to make
sure $lib was set properly.