mhonarc-users

Re: how to get archives organized by month

2003-08-04 20:33:28
Is there something I can look at in MHonARC that will tell me how to get the
index page to do monthly organization?

I have 1 and 6 already all I need and want that I don't already have is
   3. Archives organized by monthly or yearly time periods.

Hi Vicki,

   I use procmail to handle the date formatting.  Mine's probably a
   little more complicated than what you're trying to do, so I'm going
   to make up some examples that might illustrate the point.  Hopefully
   I won't futz things up in the process.  :)

   Let's say that I have a mailing list named foo(_at_)example(_dot_)com and I
want
   the archives to show up at www.example.com:/archives/foo/[date].
   Date should be something in the format of 'aug03'.

   Here's a procmail recipe:

      # the root directory where the archives go
      ARCHIVE=/mnt/WWW/www.example.com/htdocs/archives/foo

      # the subdir under ARCHIVE where things go, change date parameters
      # as necessary as per DATE(1)
      DATE=`date +%b%y | tr A-Z a-z`

      # the directory with MHonArc rc files
      RCFILE=/mnt/WWW/www.example.com/etc/rcfiles/foo(_at_)example(_dot_)com/rc

      # MHonArc binary
      MHONARC="/usr/local/bin/mhonarc -nolock -nomodtime -add -umask 022"

      :0
      * ^From owner-foo(_at_)example\(_dot_)com
      | $MHONARC -rcfile $RCFILE -outdir $ARCHIVE/$DATE

   Note that this is based on the date that the file is received at your
   system.  You could use procmail to extract the date from your envelope
   from 'header' instead, pipe the message through a quick perl script
   to extract the date (at a performance hit, ick), etc.

Chris