Re: [Nmh-workers] external MTA (was: nmh @ gsoc?)

2010-01-28 04:08:52
[2010-01-27 18:01] Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:21:10 +0100, markus schnalke said:
TLS seems to be already solved. However, why does nmh need TLS?
Doesn't it delegate mail transfer to an MTA?

You may need it to talk to a remote MTA that insists on doing TLS.  And
there's valid use cases for it.

Half the time my laptop is at home, so letting my local sendmail do the
delivery isn't workable, lot of sites whinge at the fact that it's a
cablemodem
address. So if I want my mail delivered, my easiest is to forward through the
MTA here at work.  And it was easier to just tell nmh to forward rather than
have it point at the local sendmail and reconfig that to forward.

Use a simple forwarding MTA (like nullmailer or ssmtp) instead.

Instead of having one program inside nmh to forward, use one external
program to forward. The external program will surely do the job better
than the internal one. (Do you need reasons for this statement?)

For the user, shipping an own forwarder is not much different than
providing a good tutorial on how to use an external program for the
job. And if it is a problem, then this user is hardly a user of nmh
anyway.

meillo