Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.4 build failures on RHEL/CentOS 5

2012-02-05 08:33:51
On CentOS 5, I get the following compile time errors:
       reference to `tgetnum' termsbr.c:(.text+0x132): undefined
[...]
       reference to `tgetnum' termsbr.o: In function `SOprintf':
       termsbr.c:(.text+0x1be): undefined reference to `tputs'
       termsbr.c:(.text+0x1f9): undefined reference to `tputs'
       termsbr.o: In function `clear_screen': termsbr.c:(.text+0x2a5):
       undefined reference to `tputs' collect2: ld returned 1 exit
       status make: *** [mhlist] Error 1

That was fixed by installing ncurses-devel, but we should really be
checking for that at configure time. Also:

I think we do, right?  I mean, we check for tgetent in configure.
What did configure say when you ran it without ncurses-devel installed?

       reference to `dparsetime' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
       make[1]: *** [forw] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory
       `/local/home/install/nmh-1.4/uip' make: *** [all-recursive]
       Error 1

I haven't got to the bottom of that one yet. There's a prototype for it
in tws.h and the definition claims to be in dtimep.lex, but it's been
nearly 20 years since I last did anything with lex, and I'm rusty enough
that I can't immediately see what's wrong (or even what's meant to be
happening!)

You want to look at dtimep.c (the generated output from dtimep.lex).
And from the 1.4 tarball ... yes, it's in there.  Well, specifically,
there is this:

#define YY_DECL struct tws *dparsetime(char *lexstr)

And YY_DECL is used as a function prototype later for the scanner.  So
I'm puzzled by this one.