Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking - which to use?

2012-02-05 12:16:06
Lyndon wrote:

On 2012-02-05, at 8:49 AM, David Levine wrote:

Or to really
play it safe, have configure determine which are available
and use them all?

At the same time? Sounds like a recipe for deadlock to me. And it won't
work correctly, if at all, on platforms that implement one or more of
fcntl/flock/lockf as wrappers around one of the others (e.g. Solaris).

So it sounds like picking one default for each platform and
allowing run-time selection is the way to go.

configure should be able to set this on a per-platform basis.

It can't because it depends on what other applications use.

As for internal locking, it's a toss-up between flock and lockf. To me
the tie breaker is which of the two gets along best with network mounted
filesystems these days (and think AFP and CIFS in addition to NFS).

And forget about fcntl -- the semantics are too broken for
consideration. If neither of flock/lockf are available, we can fall back
to dot locking.

Fedora /bin/mail uses fcntl and Mutt recommends it.
procmail can use it.  I haven't had any problems since I
starting using fcntl.  I did see problems with dot locking,
I expect because other applications weren't using it.

David