Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission

2014-07-08 07:35:04
We won't find standards support for it:  465 for SMTPS was revoked by
IANA (in 1998!) and reassigned to another service.  But as long as
AT&T (I know), Verizon (I think), and whoever else require it, we're
stuck with it.

No we're not. Nor should we support it.  The standards-based
alternatives are available and should me used.

Sigh.  I went around and around on this when I implemented it.  The reality
is a) there are some ISPs (not just AT&T) that it's the ONLY thing they
implement, and b) pretty much every other MUA supports it.