Re: [Nmh-workers] A --prefix friendly install

2014-10-01 22:21:37
Lyndon wrote:

This layout isn't very friendly with 'configure --prefix=/usr/local'.

Fedora customizes that and uses /etc/nmh/ and /usr/libexec/nmh/,
consistent with your plan.  It also uses /usr/share/doc/nmh/
for what's in the source docs/.

My only concern is with where the manpages get installed.  Currently
we put them under .../share/man/.  That seems to be the autoconf
default location.  But for most of the systems I have access to,
versions of man that adapt their search path based on $PATH search
on ../man for every .../bin they find in $PATH.  So I'm wondering if
it might not be better to install under $prefix/man rather than
$prefix/share/man by default?  We might have to tune this in
configure.ac, but I think installing in .../man will work for most
OSes.

Fedora uses /usr/share/man/ for most man pages.  As long as there's
a way to retain that, I don't see a problem.

David